Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Appalachia Football History

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Appalachia Football History

    Was looking back over the history of Appy Football and noticed that in 1941 they played William Flemming (an all black school). Was this a common practice? I found that to be odd, considering this area was still racially segregated. Anybody have any information on this?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia Football History

    If no one on here has the info for you, stop at Lonesome Pine School & Heritage Center near the June Tolliver House (http://www.lpshc.org/) - they have a large amount of info of that variety. Very interesting stuff.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia Football History

    Local football history is something that's not studied and discussed enough. thumbs down
    Officially retired

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia Football History

    I've got scores from every game ever played by Appalachia and Powell Valley. It's one of my favorite hobbies.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Sat_morning_QB's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2002
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia Football History

    Have you got anything posted online, I was looking for a roster for the 89 team.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia Football History

    No, I don't have anything posted online I just have materials I've accumulated over time. I think I have a team picture from the 89 Appy team somewhere though.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member lpd_observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2007
    Posts
    186
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia Football History

    I completely agree with you. Personally, I dont think that we talk about local sports enough on this forum. I love the sports of our region because they make us unique. We play a different brand of ball. Tough ball with hard nosed kids who have a wonderful blue collar work ethic who dont feel entitled to win. Good high school athletics are as much a part of our culture as the mountains we live in. We ought to study our athletics history, and use it to build a conscious legacy in through the halls of our schools.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia Football History

    It would be really nice if people could get together and bring the info they have and put together some information. As I said I have scores from every game that PV and Appy have played. I also have probably 30 or some team pictures of Appalachia. I also think I have a team picture of most of the LPD Champions up until around the late 90's.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Appalachia Football History

    I think it would be incredible if we could get a bunch of the newspapers going back as far as possible that list bunches of teams, show their "star" players, have interviews with the players and coaches, etc. You know, like the Coalfield feature just before the season begins, etc.? That would be pretty awesome.

    It would be interesting looking back at the players, how they spoke of the game, their mentalities before the seasons (especially the championship teams), and more. I wish there was a way to find this stuff on the net. It's a shame there isn't more material available without having to break your back just to find it. It's even somewhat tough to find pictures of Julius and Thomas Jones when they played for PV, and that's a damned shame.
    Officially retired

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •